04 May 2009

Scarlet Breasted Parrots (Neophema splendida)

Scarlet Breasted Parrot 
Neophema splendida

Sexing

Very easy to tell. The male is the prettier of two with a Scarlet or red chest, the female is plainer with a predominately yellow chest.

Noise

Low. A few chirps a whistles.

General Care

The are a grass parrot so they tend to like leafy greens. They also spend a lot of time on the ground because of this (so far a have noticed more in the colder months). They have some pecking order issues from what I have observed, when I first introduced the extra birds to the original female she chased the new birds around for a few days and after my first clutch all the other birds chased the younger male until I separated him and he died a few days later.

These were the first bird I kept. I had a female "Tishi" that I kept indoors that had out lived two males. I introduced her and the other scarlets that my parent gave me (2x males and 1x extra female) all from the same blood line into the cage.



Breeding

Attempt 1

I had two breeding boxes in the cage, one egg was laid in the first and three in the second. My original female sat on the three eggs of two hatched and one chick survived. They both the chicks got lice but no other birds where affected. They sat and hatched in February roughly.
I used the boxes pictured with some saw dust in the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment