05 May 2009

Japanese Quail (Coturnix japonica)

Japanese Quail 
Coturnix japonica

Sexing

They are unable to be visually sexed.


Noise

Medium. Surprised when it first occurred but the mostly quite quail actually has a very loud call.


General Care

I got the quails just to keep the Conures floor clean but I really enjoy these little birds. They are very placid and easy to handle. They act much like mini chickens.


Breeding

I have been told a grass tussock is the best way for these birds to sit but I have put one of these in the cage and she still lays the eggs on the floor of the cage randomly. The only thing I can think that the grass is to high for them and they have to climb up into it.

10th May 2009

For the first time I have seen the female in the grass. I have shifted two eggs into the tussock to encourage her to lay and sit there.

8th June 2009

The female is know using the tussock to commonly hide, hopefully this means she is getting used to it and she will lay there soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment