05 May 2009

Green Cheeked Conures (Pyrrhura molinae)


Green Cheeked Conures 
Pyrrhura molinae


Sexing

They need to be DNA tested for sure, I have been told that they are female and male but I don't know for sure. What I believe is the male has more green around the eyes (see lower picture) because he regularly dances and performs for the female.

Noise

High. Louder generally than the ring neck's, I'm lucky the neighbours don't seem to mind.

General Care

They are messy eaters spreading the seed all over the ground presumably to get at the sun flower seeds. They play a bit when they think your not looking, enjoyable to watch them climb up the side of the cage as quick as they can over and over.

Breeding

I haven't had any luck thus far but I have only had the pair since Christmas. The previous owner said they had laid but crushed the eggs. There is a few issues I might have; they both maybe females, I've used a standard nesting box (I've been advised that they like a secondary chamber inside the box for the female climb up into) and also it may have not been good time of year for the birds.

I have also read that they like to sleep in the nesting box but this pair don't seem interested in the box at all. They sleep on the side next to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment