16 November 2015

Buddy

After keeping my the little Burke Parrot alive for nearly two weeks he past away. It was upsetting as grew attached to Buddy but what I can take from the experience is that have gained some skills and gear in hand rearing for other bird abandoned by their parents or if I choose to hand raise a bird. 

After cleaning out the nesting boxes from the Bourke Parrot cage I found a lot of mice droppings to the right hand side of the nesting box. I suspect the mother pushed the chicks out because of being hassled by mice. From what I have read this is one of the common causes bird will abandon young.

I believe Buddy had some injuries from the fall from the nest. His leg was obvious but I'm not sure if further injury had caused him to pass away.



No comments:

Post a Comment