23 April 2013

Red Rumped Parrot (Psephotus haematonotus)


Red Rumped Parrot

Male (above), female (below)

Psephotus haematonotus


Commonly known as Grass Parrot. They are quite a beautiful bird not alway captured in a image or even seen when walking past them in a cage. When I first seen them in the wild when I was in Marulan  for work was the first time a really appriciated what a beautiful bird they were.


Sexing -


The female is duller and lacks the "Red Rump"


Noise -


Medium, can be noisy when bickering but in general appear fairly quite.


General care -


I hoping they are very hardy and low maintence bird. Provide Fruit, vegetables, greens, grasses and seed daily like all my birds enjoy.


Breeding -


This is a young pair and can breed as of this year (August to December will be there season).
I will provide a selection of boxes but I expect they will probably choose a larger square box.

No comments:

Post a Comment