07 April 2013

MIA Gouldian Finch Chicks


A family emergency left my birds to fend for themselves for a lot longer then normal. I returned to find only one Gouldian Finch chick in the nesting box and the other two were missing. I quick scout of the aviary floor produced one chick alive and well that had tried the leap of faith a little too early. The other took sometime to locate; it was dead in the front corned of the nesting box under some grass (causes unknown).

The feathered chick should be flying around within a few days.

9/2 Lost my smaller Gouldian finch yesterday. It way half way across the aviary (too far for the amount of feathers it had) and found my other nearly fledged one out of the box again this morning, I returned it by but it was dead when I got home from work today in a similar position to the other.

Lost all my Gouldian finch chicks which is really shitty to say the least. Maybe inexperienced parents or maybe vermin (although no evidence of late and I do bate where the food is kept)

No comments:

Post a Comment