16 September 2010

Parrot diet / Feeding

I feed all the birds fruit & vegetables daily. I use carrot, apple, lettuce, beans, pear, broccoli, cauliflower, stone fruit and melon mostly. I also commonly use frozen mixed vegetables as well. The things I have tried that they have not been interested in are potato and orange.

Every few days I put grass in for the grass parrots (Bourke's, Scarlett Chested). The Princes parrots also seem to like the grass but it doesn't interest the Conures or the Ringnecks. They really like when the grass is in seed and milk thistle.

Things I know are not good for bird are avocado (toxic) and soft breads can cause suffocation due to the bread getting stuck in there beaks.

I always keep seed in feeders to supplement there fresh fruit and vegetable diet. I will occasionally use plain dry biscuits as a treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment