19 April 2014

Aviary Maintenance

An unfortunate downside of keeping birds is the excess seed attracts rodents. I keep my seed in sealed bins and a box of rat sak in the shed which controls the problem but does not eliminate entirely. 

The flooring in my aviaries are pavers that have concreted across to keep out mice and rats, however a rat has recently been exploiting weak areas of this a burrowing under to access the seed. My response has been to concrete in the burrow but it was too late in my larger communal aviary and allowed my female Gouldian Finch to escape.



I recently purchased a pressure cleaner and it has allowed me to really thoroughly clean out all the aviaries and literally blow out all the cobwebs! Great idea for anyone keeping birds and I would highly recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment